Ms. Pierce is the founder of MaryPierceLaw and has been practicing labor and employment law exclusively representing employers for over 15 years. Ms. Pierce began her legal career at Irell & Manella LLP, a premier law firm with a nationally ranked practice. After leaving Irell & Manella, Ms. Pierce moved to Knee, Ross & Silverman, a law firm specializing exclusively in labor and employment law, and where Ms. Pierce met Lisa Sherman. During her time at Knee, Ross & Silverman, Ms. Pierce spent two years working in-house at Fortune 500 food and beverage conglomerate. Just prior to starting MaryPierceLaw, Ms. Pierce spent four years at Blank Rome LLP, a full-service, multi-disciplinary law firm with offices worldwide, serving as their go-to attorney on any transactional California employment matters.
While Ms. Pierce has served as lead counsel representing employers in litigation matters, her heart lies in advising employers on a variety of transactional employment matters, including tailoring employee handbooks, agreements, and other personnel policies for employers, advising on day-to-day employment law issues, training executives, managers, human resource professionals and rank and file employees, as well as, conducting on-site investigations of workplace-related issues.
Ms. Pierce is also busy raising three rambunctious boys, ages 3, 9, and 11 and has served on each of their school’s parent boards over the years. In her spare time, Ms. Pierce advocates for the humane treatment of animals as a District Leader for the Humane Society of the United States and serves on her temple’s social justice committee where she devotes time volunteering to help the underprivileged.
Labor and Employment Law
Undergraduate: University of California, San Diego (1995), Double Major: Political Science and History; earned Provost Honors.
Law School: USC Gould School of Law J.D. (1999), graduated Order of the Coif.
Bar Affiliations / Memberships/Certifications
- Admitted to California Bar in 1999.
- Licensed to practice law in California.
- Member of the State Bar of California, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Member of Association of Workplace Investigators
Prior Law Firm Employment Law Experience
- Irell & Manella LLP, a premier law firm with a nationally ranked practice.
- Knee, Ross & Silverman, a law firm specializing exclusively in labor and employment law.
- Blank Rome LLP, a full-service, multi-disciplinary law firm with offices worldwide.
Prior In-House Employment Experience
Two years working in-house at a Fortune 500 food and beverage conglomerate while employed at Knee, Ross & Silverman.
Independent Workplace Investigator
Retained by employers to serve as an independent investigator of workplace disputes and serve as a witness regarding the investigation if litigation ensues.
Trainer / Teacher
- Supervisor and Employee Training on Unlawful Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation and Bullying for California employers under AB 1825.
- Supervisor and Manager Training on ADA Compliance.
- Human Resource Training on Employer Required Compliance (Hiring, Investigations, Discipline, Documentation, Electronic Communications, Wage and Hour, Leaves of Absences, Medical Conditions/Disabilities, Reporting Obligations, and Terminations, state and federal law compliance).
- Supervisor, Manager and Employee Training on Electronic Communications, Technology, and Social Media.